Friday, March 22, 2013

NOMADS 2012 Annual Meeting, Hamburg, NY




Overlooking Niagara Falls, near Hamburg, NY

The past few weeks seemed to fly by quickly.  I left Silver Lake and moved a short distance to the Fairgrounds in Hamburg, New York, where I spent a week at the NOMADS Annual Meeting.  The meeting is more like a big family reunion – good friends greeting each other, bantering in casual conversation, laughing and hugging, exchanging the love of Christ.  I am not one for crowds so I tend to either avoid those types of events or go through a period of anxiety.  This meeting was different from the two I had attended before in North Carolina and Iowa.  This time I saw many friends I had made along my way with NOMADS.  Many friendly faces approached me with smiles, hands outreached, hugs or handshakes, all of which made me appreciate the work of the Lord in my life.  I had friends.  It was an amazing, enjoyable week.

The week was not without its interesting moments.  First off, the chair of the NOMADS Board of Directors had invited me to arrive earlier than most other folks.  Before my head got too big from thinking I was special, arriving early was not such a glamorous event as I thought.  The Chairman asked me to sit through the meeting of the NOMADS Board of Directors, and as noted by the Chairman, I was not a member of the Board – yet.  He would announce the results of the board member election conducted earlier.

Here is a little background information.  Leading up to the Annual Meeting of the Board, I was encouraged to run for a vacant At-Large position on the Board.  Upon accessing the NOMADS website to cast my own vote, I learned that I was the only candidate for the position.  “OK, Lord,” I asked, “What’s going on here?”  Back when I considered submitting my name for consideration, I prayed for the Lord’s guidance on the matter, figuring He would somehow lead me into His plan one way or another.  I never realized He would simply eliminate my opposition!  Well, that’s the Lord for you, ever creative.  Needless to say, I was a shoe-in for the At-Large position.

The NOMADS members elected me to the Board of Directors so the early arrival meant I had the privilege of attending meetings – for information purposes only.  I later learned that my appointment did not take effect until the end of the Annual Meeting.  Consequently, I was asked to, in my own words, keep my mouth shut and listen.  Well, it was a learning experience, and the experience continues.
Hobnobbing with fellow NOMADS (rear in white shirt) [Yeah, some NOMADS have heritage!]


As for the remainder of the week at the Annual Meeting, I managed to attend the NOMADS annual auction and surprisingly not buying much of anything.  I donated a couple of wine baskets decorated with bottles of wine, of course, and some other items that I thought would be suitable for a relaxing evening.  Though I am usually excited about auctions, especially the NOMADS auction, this time I suffered from a bit of disappointment.  A seemingly insignificant episode occurred during preparations for the auction that cast a shadow over my mood.  Just as I delivered the baskets and walked back through the building, I heard a distinctive crash of a dropped glass.  Well, I thought, someone was not being very careful with the merchandise.  My disappointment deepened as I later surveyed the tables of merchandise and saw the otherwise beautiful baskets now in disarray, and one missing a wine glass.  Oh, well, it happens.
Me (center in hat and black vest) viewing auction merchandise


A bright spot of the Annual Meeting occurred while I was near Buffalo, NY.  I got together with a friend in the area and visited Niagara Falls.  I had the opportunity to see first-hand and up close the series of falls known as Niagara Falls.  I learned there is no particular falls named Niagara Falls, and I am not sure why.  The layout of Niagara Falls is fairly known if you have visited the area.  There are two primary falls: American Falls and Horseshoe Falls.  There are also a few smaller falls the names of which escape me at the moment.  The area is on the border with Canada and folks can walk to the Canadian side for another viewing perspective.  I was just as pleased to see what I could from the American side.

American Falls
 There seems to be some fascination with the falls and romance, though I failed to find the fascination.  I agree there is a lot of romance to be had, but I believe I could describe some form of romance just about anywhere.  Yes, the falls are a lot of water falling over a cliff, fascinating for sure.  On the American Falls, you can see rocks piling up as the water cascades over them – so much for a cliff, as it slowly erodes over the years.  That is not the case with the Horseshoe Falls.  I understand that is where all the daredevils go over in barrels and such because there is roughly 100 feet of water at the bottom, not rocks as you find at the American Falls.  It was a fascinating and beautiful sight, nevertheless.

View of the river before the falls
Another bright spot occurred while spending my free time exploring.  I found a long-sought solution for hauling my motorcycle.  I had a Yamaha V-Star Classic 1100 stowed in West Virginia and wanted very much to bring it with me on my NOMADS travels.  Wherever I happen to be, I long to explore the countryside by motorcycle.  I could use my truck but I prefer a good bike.  So, long story short, I exchanged my trailer for a different style – a toy-hauler.

As I left northern New York and the Hamburg Fairgrounds, I looked forward to picking up my new fifth wheel ‘toy-hauler’ and making my way south.  I planned to stop in West Virginia before traveling to my next project in Kentucky.  I drove leisurely south, thoroughly enjoying the drive through Pennsylvania.  The mountains were full of brilliant fall colors.  I tried to take the route less traveled and experience the numerous small towns along the way.  As I approached one particular small town, I noticed some vague familiarity.  I soon discovered that it was in this small town that I purchased my first travel trailer.  A newly married couple who had roots in northern Pennsylvania had sold the one-year-old trailer after discovering their teenage children cared little for the close sleeping quarters.  Oh, well, I was glad to take it off their hands.  I stopped at a diner in the area to enjoy the ever-refreshing character of small towns.

I made good time heading south, arriving later in the day, and spent a few restful days at my cabin.  I love the seemingly remoteness of the cabin, snuggled in the woods with other neighboring cabins, and occasionally sit at my small computer desk looking out the back at ubiquitous squirrels, occasional deer, and less occasional turkey.  I look forward to visiting the cabin and enjoying at least one meal shared with a couple who I consider very good friends.  In little time, though, I was anxious to travel once again.  I readied the cabin for a long sleep and headed out.
My Niagara Falls adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment