Thursday, October 27, 2011

Ruston, LA - March 2011

Our world is full of need and wonderful places.  I have learned that by finding my niche in life, that is helping others, was not something that came on me all of a sudden.  Back in 1992, I learned that a young pastor that served a small church in rural Virginia was putting together a mission team for a trip to Mexico.  The invitation was open to anyone.  I knew little to nothing about mission work but a trip to Mexico sounded adventurous and exciting.  I recall that first mission trip with fond memories, though at the time it was replete with what I thought were hardships only later to discover they were simple opportunities of humility.  I returned to Mexico several times since that first experience.  I find the Hispanic culture and country to be colorful and interesting, and the people very faithful.  Over the years, I ventured out on other mission trips to Belize, Nicaragua, Haiti, and a few areas of the United States, including Louisiana, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Florida, and Missouri.

You might think a language barrier might be problematic while doing mission work in various, often remote, areas of the world.  Not necessarily so.  I could say that I speak a little of most languages, except Greek.  Even when visiting Mexico, Nicaragua, South Carolina, and Louisiana, I found the language difference bearable.  Now, if someone were to ask me if I speak Spanish, Cajun, Creole, or any of those languages that may sound weird or are otherwise unfamiliar, I know they are all Greek to me.  (OK, if you are perhaps a little slow, there is a joke in there somewhere.)  I should also say that I have a hearing problem.  Both ears, too.  Often times I will not hear folks or, more often, simply not understand what they say.  I have found a universal response that seems to work wherever I happen to be.  Simply respond with, “Huh?”

I cannot say I have any particular favorite place in this world, culture, or people.  I say that because I believe the Lord has yet to show me all the wonderful places, cultures, and peoples of our world.  Of course, when I think back over the years, my first mission stands out with certain significance.  It was by far the most challenging in terms of putting me out of my comfort zone.  It was not my first time out of the United States, but it was my first mission experience.  Another trip is significant for other reasons.  Haiti.  That country experienced a bad earthquake eleven months before my visit and much of the devastation had not been disturbed or cleared.  Still, seeing the hoards of people trying to live a normal life amidst the destruction hit me hard.  I found the country as beautiful as the inhabitants.

I can say, without a bit of hesitation, there is one place where I have found the people to be most friendly, welcoming, hospitable, and genuine.  That place would be in the countryside near Ruston, Louisiana.  In particular, I would say the folks who attend Antioch United Methodist Church, Ruston, LA.

The Lord led me to a small remote area in northern Louisiana for my second NOMADS project.  I enjoyed the relatively new feeling of trust that He would guide and equip me for whatever lay ahead.  I headed toward Ruston, just off I-20, and soon found the Outdoor Wilderness Learning Center, located on 800 acres of picturesque farmland.  The OWL Center is associated with the Louisiana United Methodist Children and Family Services organization.  It consists of bunkhouse and cabins, wooden maze, Challenge (ropes) Course, and other outdoor facilities designed as a therapeutic and recreational facility that supports team building, self-esteem skills, and family strength.  It was paradise to me.

Though I enjoyed my first NOMADS adventure in St. Petersburg, FL, I felt more at home at the OWL Center.  It was a farm, complete with horses, barns, pastures, ponds, and a wide blue sky overhead.  It reminded me of when I was a kid growing up in Texas and Oklahoma.  The staff that ran the Center was mostly young women.  One guy who was in charge of maintenance was our primary contact.  He reminded me so much of my grandfather.  Though he and I were close in age, I felt like I was back on my grandfather’s farm.  Yep, it was paradise.  The guy was so friendly and accommodating.  He had a wonderful sense of humor and was very easy to work with.

The weather was cool but spring was on the way.  Our first assignment was to build arbors over two small docks on a pond below one of the main buildings.  We built them out of cedar logs collected from the woods around the farm.  We had no specific design so I contributed ideas on construction.  This place was very different from my first project because I could use and bring my own tools.  All the team members were friendly, participative, and helpful.  Again, I was finding new friends.

During a weekend I wanted to attend a local church.  The maintenance guy told me about a small church nearby.  On Saturday, I ventured out in search of the church so I would know where it was on Sunday.  I drove a few miles and found what looked like an abandoned church building.  There was no sign indicating times of Sunday services.  It certainly looked closed for good.

The next morning I planned to check out the church around 9:30, which was a time I heard other local churches held their services.  I pulled into the parking lot of the Antioch United Methodist Church just as another car pulled in ahead of me.  The couple invited me in and explained that Sunday School was at 10:00 followed by church service.  I reckon the church was not closed after all.

Some people may think that things just happen, perhaps by coincidence or happenstance.  There are things in my life that I believe God orchestrates.  The couple that pulled in ahead of me at the church, for example, is one of those things that God orchestrated.  The couple turned out to be among the nicest people in the world.  They had been married for many years and it appeared to me that they were completely in tune with one another.  At it turns out, he is a master musician having studied classical music, taught music, and built several musical instruments like pianos and violins.  She had been a school teacher.  I found both of them very interesting in their own way.  I cannot say enough about how wonderful they are, how friendly they were, how they made me part of their ‘family’ within minutes of meeting me.  That acceptance was not limited to that couple either.  Several members of their extended family, related or not, were as accepting and friendly as they were.

The worship service was simple, interesting, educational, and entertaining.  Music included a piano, acoustic guitar, bass guitar, and fiddle (or violin).  I had never heard a fiddle played during church service and it added a nice sound to the music.

I attended two Sunday services during my stay as well as two Bible Study meetings on Wednesday evenings.  Nice dinners supplemented the intimate sessions of study, sharing, and worship.  Well into the tradition of Methodist churches, the food was absolutely wonderful.  I was never one for eating squash.  One of the friendliest women prepared a bodacious meal that included a squash dish.  I did not know what it was but it looked good.  It was a casserole that I thought included mashed potatoes but tasted a bit different.  It was SO good!  I could have eaten more than I did but my stomach could hold only so much.  Even the realization of knowing it was squash, something I would have otherwise turned from, did not stop me.  I loved it.  Our hostess was so gracious when she prepared me a take-home plate.  Wow, that was great!

Back at the farm, I continued to enjoy new friendships.  One particular couple was very helpful in advising me about other NOMADS projects that I might like.  Another couple invited me to their home in New England area.  I had never been exposed to such openness, friendliness, and acceptance before.

The OWL Center is certainly one place where I will return for a couple of reasons.  The main reason is the fine people in the area, including the young women that run the facility, the great guy who does the maintenance, and the wonderful people in the area.  Part of my heart stays with the Antioch United Methodist Church and I will certainly return when the Lord leads me in that direction.

Campsite at the OWL Center

View of the farm

Another view of the farm
A few of the many horses for therapeutic riding

Farm buildings
Small docks before the arbors

Building arbors out of cedar poles

Finished product - ready for a wedding in June
Getting ready to build a shelter over bleachers

Repaired a gate - shelter in background
Great down-home music!

No comments:

Post a Comment